| This page may contain spoilers. Please view at your own risk.
|Hair color||Orange with teal highlights|
|Affiliation||Kizna Experiment, Sugomori High School (Class 2-A)|
Nico Niyama (Japanese: 新山仁子, Romanized: Nīyama Niko) is a main character and one of the group of seven kiznaivers in the titular anime, manga, and novel series. Her sin is The Eccentric Headcase (Japanese: 不思議メンヘラ, Romanized: Fushigi Menhera, Official English Translation: "Screw Loose"). Her identification when she experiences pain is D-6.
Character Outline Edit
A girl whose fashion and behavior are very unique. She has a screw loose, and is a so-called Eccentric-chan (ふしぎちゃん, Fushigi-chan, lit. "an eccentric and spontaneous young girl").
Although she is known by her classmates as of the beginning of the series for claiming to commune with fairies, her deepest secret is revealed to be that she doesn't even believe in fairies.
Nico appears to be short. She has bright orange hair with teal streaks which are tied into two pigtails on both sides of her head. She has jagged-cut bangs, with the fringe on her left shorter than on her her right. On her right pigtail, her hair is tied with a fluffy pompom with eyes and a bright pink ribbon. On her left, her hair is tied with a similar pompom with hearts sticking out of it. She has round purple eyes and little eyebrows.
Nico usually wears the basic school uniform, dolled up with a yellow petticoat, bunny lanyard, yellow belt, bunny backpack, and bright mismatching socks. Her appearance is bright and colorful, similar in fashion to fairy-kei and decora. She appears to be 150 cm tall.
Nico appears to be bright and energetic, often being the comic relief of the series. She tends to overreact or be very dramatic when experiencing new things, and acts very immature and girly.
However, Nico is shown to be rather perceptive in the series, much to her companions' surprise.
Since she came from a wealthy family, it is implied that she has polite and lady-like manners.
Due to the death of Maki's friend Ruru, which Maki blames herself for, she had distanced herself from everybody, refusing to be friends with Nico who had asked her to be her friend. However, the Kiznaivers had found out about Ruru, helping her to find out about the true message Ruru wanted to give to Maki, giving her strength to make friends. Maki would be closest to Nico, since she was the first to approach her as a friend.
Her attraction for Tenga could be seen sometimes from episode 7 and 8. However, she had confessed she liked Tenga in episode 9, when Chidori was jealous and hurt when Katsuhira hugged Noriko, causing Tenga to be angry at Katsuhira. She had revealed her inner voice then, which could be heard by all Kiznaivers, saying if Chidori didn't want Tenga, Chidori should give him to her. Later, Chidori, Tenga, Hisomu, and Nico were supposed to meet at the mall but while Chidori and Tenga have their little exchange, she texts them to start shopping without them. She and Hisomu talk about the situation and Nico wants Chidori and Tenga to not be stuck in an awkward stage and all be friends even though she isn't giving up on Tenga. She also mentions having a playful fist fight against Chidori for Tenga's love to make them all closer. In the end after she discovers Chidori is slowly starting to develop feelings towards Tenga, out of jealousy, she tells to Yoshiharu Hisomu that she still loves Tenga and will not lose him to Chidori.
Among the rest of the Kiznaivers, Nico disapproves of Noriko and Nico is indifferent towards Noriko. Nico makes it clear to the Kiznaivers that she honestly doesn't care for Noriko, no matter how tragic her past is. In the end of the last episode, Nico tries her best to be friendly towards Noriko, as Nico generally wants to be nice and sociable with people.
- "I don't believe in fairies!"
- The original Deadly Sin that Nico embodies is Greed (avaritia). The Heavenly Virtue she achieves by the end of the series is Charity (caritas).
- The term menhera used to describe Nico's modern-day sin in Japanese has a double connotation in modern Japan. It can be a highly loaded and socially damaging slang term that can be boiled down to "a person who has a screw loose/an extremely troublesome person," or it can be used to refer to "one who dresses up in a sickly cute style." For more information on menhera in English, read here and here.
- It is revealed in episode 2 that Nico does not, in fact, believe in fairies.
- In episode 2 it is said that she partially pretends to be eccentric since according to her she is "smart," "rich," "cute," and has "a perfect life," and doesn't want to be ostracized or dissed by her peers for it.
- In episode 9 and again in episode 12, she confirms that she has romantic feelings for Tenga.
- Nico often speaks childishly, using third person instead of saying "I".